Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sufferfest - been there?

I started running a little over a year ago and it's been a great way to stay in shape. Unfortunately I've taken a couple of weeks off, so last night was hell on the treadmill. Or, as Preston would call it "a real Sufferfest". See Barton 4 definition of Sufferfest below.

Sufferfest; noun, verb, adverb, adjective, blah, blah, blah
Root word: suffer

Definition of Sufferfest:
: Something horribly, terribly, and awfully personally encountered, undergone, or (barely) lived through

Synonyms:
Hideous disaster, calamitous event, nauseating bragging (about kids, diet, workout schedule, beauty, etc), abhorrent catastrophe, embarrassing debacle, stomach flu/food poisoning, apocalypse, tradeshows, cleaning the toilet, Armageddon, hangover.

Antonyms:
Kid-free anything, massage, lying on beach, eating dinner without interruption (including, but not limited to: spilled milk, screaming, peeing of pants, complaining, whining, fighting, or tears), sleeping past 6:00 am, enjoyable, interesting, fun, care-free, easy, fully rested and rich, winning the lottery, getting a raise, smashing success, wine tasting.

Examples of Sufferfest:
• That time on the treadmill was a real Sufferfest.
• Oh no, they put sauce on Johnny’s chicken, eat fast to shorten the length of the upcoming Sufferfest.
• Cleaning the house is a pure Sufferfest.
• Having lunch with Sally (thin, rich, beautiful, perfect children and husband) to “catch up” after her two week tropical vacation will be a complete Sufferfest.
• I can’t believe I drank two bottles of wine and it’s 3:00 am – holy shit tomorrow is going to be a Sufferfest as I take the kids to the disco roller-skating birthday party.
• Why oh why did I cut my own bangs, the next month is going to be a hair Sufferfest.
• Ahhhhhhhh SUFFERFEST!


What's your Sufferfest? How do you live through it?

1 comment:

Allyson said...

Steph - I love this. It is now a new word in my ever-increasing vocabulary and I like the fact it came from a real grown up. If I see LOL one more time......

I just started my blog and shared it with Danni, she said I should check out yours and of course, once again, I love Danni for everything (and everyone) she introduces me to!

Look forward to reading more with a glass of cupcake.