Monday, February 11, 2008

Conversations with a kiddo



On Sunday, Connor and I had a date. We rode Trax down to the Disney on Parade Live! event. (I'm actually not going to go into detail about the event, other than to say that there won't be Christmas this year due to the $10 cotton candy, etc. I did learn a lesson though, particularly after the first skit ended 10 minutes after the opening scene and he said, "Is it over? Can I get a toy now?")
He and I were giddy at the opportunity to hang just the two of us. On the way to the train station he said, "Mama, look at those birds. I wish we were birds and could fly. I wish I could fly with you Mama." I almost cried until 5 minutes later he said, "Mama, at school I learned about bears. I learned that they hibernate in the winter. But, I don't want to talk about it."
It's crazy how their brains work. Sometimes I can almost see the smoke as the wheels are turning. He's thinking so hard about something, but will only let me see a glimpse of what he's thinking when he bursts out with a "Pickles are really cucumbers." or "Dirty feet smell like cheese."
I tried to imagine how he went from the birds comment to the bears. In my mind it worked something like this, "Hmmm. Flying would be cool. What if I was a bird? Bird starts with a B. Bear also starts with a B. And, speaking of bears. Hey Mama..."
Time spent with Connor is certainly magical. Thanks for our date dude.

No comments: